Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Feeling Thankful

I don't have any Halloween decorations, so I usually skip it altogether when decorating and go straight to Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday.  The past couple of weeks I have seen this at the grocery store (minus the pumpkin) and said no every time...until my most recent trip.  I decided I needed* it.  I mean, who wouldn't think a Turkey-Pumpkin (Turkin?  Pumpkey?) isn't just awesome?  I think it's awesome.  Works perfectly standing right next to our "NO SOLICITING" sign.  Ha.  Happy Thanksgiving to you, solicitor.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because the emphasis is all about being grateful.  We surround ourselves with family, eat home-cooked goodness, and football is playing in the background.  Our family tradition is to write on a small slip of paper what you are thankful for and drop it in a box.  The anonymous notes are tossed and each family member takes one and reads it aloud to the group.  It's a sentimental way to show your gratitude, but also a fun game to guess who's is whose.  (This wouldn't be as challenging with smaller groups, obviously.)

I've been chewing on what my list might include this year.  I am extremely blessed by my friends.  Wow, God has been good to me.  One thing I ask of God on a consistent basis is that He would surround my children with great friends as they grow up.  This must have been a prayer of my parents', too, because throughout my life, I have been attracted to wonderful, amazing, healthy friendships.

Since living in Austin, we have met a lot of wonderful people.  Some of them have been seasonal friends who are in your life for a purpose, but for a short amount of time.  With others, we've had the longevity, them sticking around and becoming permanent people in our lives--our local family, really When you don't have family close by, we've found that it is necessary to take up the reins and live life together with friends, giving and receiving.
These friends and those friends (the seasonal and long-term kinds) are what I am thankful for and where my thoughts are camping out today.  If you're reading this, most likely I'm talking about you.  Thanks for being in my life, pursuing a friendship with me, and allowing me to be a part of your life, no matter how big or small.

* false.
--
Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions?

0 comments: