Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Therapeutic Crafting

I bought a boring "laundry" sign from Hobby Lobby, 50% off for $5.  To zhoozsh it up, I decided to decoupage!  A craft from the '80s, but fun and relaxing.  In the picture above you can see the mound of ripped paper that Vera and I created--we were a bit too ambitious with our tearing up of the Crate and Barrel magazine advertisement.  Mod Podge is awesome stuff.  I've had it for several years since the last time I used it in 2007.  (I know, I have a strangely good memory.) I finished it in about 4 hours, which might sound like a lot of time, but I was particular with how I wanted it to look and making sure to cover the edges and corners.
A craft like this takes awhile, but I find it to be therapeutic in a way.  While we watched 'Mad Men' last night on Netflix, I was working on it and enjoying the repetitive activity.  Gave me time to think through some thoughts.
--
Agree or disagree?  Crafting can be therapeutic.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

completely agree! that is how i ended up with my coffee filter lantern. 11 hours and over 1,000 coffee filter of therapeutic crafting.

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I agree. Except, for me, if the project isn't going exactly how I imagined it in my head, it becomes too stressful. I've been making the games and decorations for Zeph's birthday party this week, and it's been a great way to relax while watching tv after the kids are asleep. (PLUS! Doing it after they go to bed means they don't steal all my supplies and make a bigger mess.)

JKreeger said...

Love this! You are so creative. :)