Monday, August 22, 2011

Ick, That Feeling In My Heart.

I met up with some friends tonight at a nearby dog park to let our pups sniff butts and hump each other.  We chatted until it got dark and slowly meandered our way back to our cars to head home.  While driving away, there was this sickening feeling in my heart and it did not resonate well with me.  I had to shoot out an email to them once I got home because I identified that feeling as sin.  You see, while it may have seemed like innocent 'catching up,' my psyche was desperately desiring some praise from women.  I told how awesome potty training has been so far, how awesome it is that I walk my dog so frequently, how awesome work has been for me, and (the kicker) how awesome my quiet time in God's Word has been lately.  I was gloating on myself to get some recognition from my friends, to lift up myself, and to ultimately bring myself glory.  How ugly is that?  For they loved the approval of man more than the approval of God. (John 12:43)  Yep, that was me tonight, folks.  Thankfully, I have loving friends who forgive and are willing to look past it and not write me off as a self-centered, gloating bag of poop.  (Picking up dog doo-doo at park + dookie in Vera's little potty = poop on the brain)  Moreso, I am incredibly grateful for God's continual redemption in my life.  I loved being reminded on Sunday that there is nothing I can do to become separated from the love of Christ (Romans 8:39).  There is nothing I can do to make God love me more.  And get this, there's nothing I can do to make God love me less.  Nothing.

2 comments:

Christy H. said...

First of all...the first sentence in your post made me laugh out loud! Hilarious! Secondly...goodness I LOVE YOU

JKreeger said...

You are so refreshingly honest. I love you more than words can say. This made me smile and cry all at the same time. I miss you, friend.