Friday, October 21, 2011

Weeknight Stuffed Pizza

9 times out of 10, I prep dinner during nap time.  I do whatever I can to maintain the freshness of the meal, but to only have a few steps left in finishing it off at dinnertime.  Last night we had this Stuffed Pizza.  This is another good 'clean-out' meal where you can use whatever you have on hand in your pantry/fridge.

I had a green bell pepper, cremini mushrooms, shallot, garlic, and mozzarella cheese.  And to be honest, I just cracked open a jar of marinara to use as the tomato sauce.  That made it extremely easy.  I simply sauteed the toppings in some olive oil, seasoned it with salt and pepper, and let it cool.  My dough had proofed in the refrigerator overnight, so it was ready to roll out and fill.  I rolled it into a long rectangle shape and placed the marinara and toppings down the middle, leaving about 3 inches on both sides.  To close, I folded in the ends the braided it close, though you could just fold it over and crimp the edges.  Then I wrapped it and placed it back in the fridge.  Come dinner time, I turned on the oven, brought it out to room temperature, then baked it until GBD (a very technical term I learned in culinary school meaning golden brown and delicious).

Then I called it a day and sipped some cider beer.  I love quick fixes to mealtime.

3 comments:

Danitad said...

I am definitely going to try making this. Clif would love it. Do you mind sharing your bread dough recipe?

Emily Pickett said...

This looks yummy, Carey! I've missed things like calzones/stuffed pizza since I had to go gluten and dairy free. Maybe I'll crack the puzzle yet and find a way to satisfy that particular craving.

Carey said...

Danita, Chris is in the process of creating my own blog space and when it's finished, I am hoping to have a better method of reading and responding to comments. I'm sorry I'm just now replying to your questions!

Crepes- I make them ahead because they are time consuming. Just wrap them well with plastic wrap and they keep just fine.

Falafel- Make my own, too. I've bought Costco's before and it is NOT good in my opinion. Very dry and not very flavorful. I prefer more of a patty than a ball if that makes sense.

Pizza dough- Here's a time tested favorite of mine. (Taken from American Test Kitchen cookbook. It makes enough for two pizzas. I usually just make the recipe and freeze half for later.)

5 c./25 oz. all purpose flour
2 envelopes yeast
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1/4 c. olive oil
1 3/4 c. warm water

Super easy to do with a food processor, too. Pulse dry ingredients to combine. While running, pour oil, then water and process til a rough ball forms. Rest for a couple minutes. Process quickly once again. It might look sticky and cling to the blade. If so, additional flour can be added as needed. Turn it onto a floured surface. Form a ball, cover, let proof/rise about 2 hours (or in refrigerator overnight). Then ready to roll out and work with.


5