Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Simple Epiphanies

After a restless last couple months of pregnancy, I slept in the guest bed by myself a.lot.  It was wonderful having it all to myself, as well as the five pillows I'd squish in for comfort; between my knees, next to both sides, under my head, and one under the arm of the side that I was sleeping on.  Complicated, I know.  After baby came, obviously, it was a goal of mine to begin sleeping in the same bed with my husband again.  To feed Lydia in the beginning, I'd take her from her crib into the guest room and feed her while laying down (the BEST nursing position ever, in my opinion!).  Often I'd just sleep with her next to me (a known controversial statement) and feed throughout the night.  I could never do that with Vera.  My anxiety and not knowing how to nurse on my side were the obstacles, but this time around, I had it down.  And I have to say, it's pretty blissful sleeping next to a baby.  When Lydia began sleeping through the night, I began weaning myself of the guest bed.  It was harder than I thought it would be.  Chris and I share a queen sized mattress and although it is a very, very comfortable one, it was a transition going from a bed all on my own back to sharing space and having only one pillow (sniff, sniff).  I can say that jokingly now since I'm glad to be bed buddies with the hubs again.  (Although I love me a nap in the guest bed from time to time...and I will take Lydie there for an occasional 6am feeding, then put her back in her crib.)

All that to say, it arose in me an epiphany.  The only way to sleep all night in the same bed with your husband, is well, to sleep all night in the same bed with your husband.

This spoke to me in other areas.

The only way to run longer and faster is to (wait for it), run longer and faster.

The only way to spend more time reading the Bible (you guessed it) is to spend more time reading the Bible.
--
What is a short term goal that you have?

2 comments:

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

My very short term goal is to make sure that, before I go to bed every night the house is as clean, or cleaner than it was the night before. My next 13 month goal is to channel my inner Carey and run in a 12k race in Italy next fall. :) You are very inspiring my dear!

Carey said...

Wow, wish I could run it with you in Italy! I like your cleaning goal, too. Makes for a peaceful house to wake up to.