Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's The Little Things

What makes your home special?  What are the details that you love, even if they don't matter much to anyone else?  What gives you that cozy feeling when you walk in the door?  Are there sentimental items that are important to you, no matter what the price tag was?  What holds memory or value?  Here are a few snapshots, which I love, from around my home.

A chalkboard sign right outside our front door.  On the other side is written, "No Soliciting" for those times we start getting door-knockers at dinner time.  I change it up seasonally, too.  Last year we welcomed guests for our Christmas party and it read, "Eat, Drink, and Be Merry with the Bonsers."



This little item I picked up for $10 at Pier One a long time ago.  I love displaying holiday cards, birth announcements, and other photos we get in the mail throughout the entire year.  This is on a wall in our hallway.
On Chris's first business trip to Singapore he brought me back this jewelry box, which is by far the sweetest, most thoughtful gift he's ever given me.  I love it.
For whatever reason I just love the linen closet.  (And that little furball.)
With the very little cabinet and counter space that we have, we found this to be the perfect storage solution for my knives.  The blue and red tape (a frequent question) was to differentiate my knives from my fellow culinary school buddies' knives.  When we paid the tuition fee for school, it included our books and equipment, therefore everyones' knives looked the same.
Maximizing storage in the pantry meant utilizing the door.  Thank you, Elfa!
Silly to others but wonderful to me.  When we retiled the master bathroom, I chose to install corner shelves in the shower.  I always hated soap getting wet in it's normal spot on the side. 
This shot was taken as I sat on the floor of my closet.  I believe this was meant for belts, but it seemed perfect for necklaces.  The only downfall is that it is at the perfect height for Vera to play with.  I really don't mind that much though.
My sister-in-law gave us this new-to-us entryway mirror.  It was perfect for this spot.  A place for Chris to throw his keys and wallet when he walks in the door.  We also hung our pool bag here for the whole summer which contained everything we needed to hop in the car and go at a moment's notice (sunscreen, swimmer diapers, hats, pool toys, towels, and Vera's flip flops).  I loved having it at the ready.  This is also the spot I write a daily love note to my hubs.
What you can't see in this photo is what I really like about my small countered kitchen.  There is a little white dish drainer down there on the left side that fits pefectly.  I got it from Ikea a long time ago and never knew how much I would love it.  We don't keep dishes in there very long, but when they are drying, they are only in the sink and not cluttering up the countertop.
 --
What are your house loves?

2 comments:

cory said...

i love your house!

Laura said...

I love this post idea (might have to borrow it)! And I'm so glad you like the mirror and cubbies!!