Sunday, September 04, 2011

Growing Old Together

For the last couple of weeks I have been waking up around 6am.  As much as I covet my sleep, it has made a world of difference in the mentality of my day.  Blurry-eyed, I put on my tennis shoes and head out the door with Marlow at my side.  He's up and ready for his walk and though it takes a few minutes for the sleep fog to vanish, I love our quiet morning walks in the neighborhood.  The heat hasn't yet set in and there are few people out.

Except for this sweet, little old couple.  I've never spoken to them.  We haven't crossed paths yet, but I've seen them from afar taking their daily stroll together.  He wears black socks pulled up almost to his knees and she wears a sunhat.  The man uses a cane and isn't very steady on his feet, yet they still hold hands.  Be still my soul.  Tears come to my eyes watching them.  Slow and easy they go.  Perhaps their walk only consists of going around the block or even just up and down their street, I'm not sure.  But they are always together, hand in hand.

Some words that come to mind as I imagine who they are and what stories their lives could tell; commitment, perseverance, forgiveness, laughter, companionship, heartache, mountains, valleys, babies, death, victories, long haul, and friend.

It settles rightly so in my heart when I think about waking up next to the same person for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Annamateur Photographer said...

I love this, Carey. I find myself doing the same thing at church. It makes my heart smile. :) Thank you for writing about things like this.

Christy Hutchins said...

LOVE this post! LOVE seeing older couples so in love.

However...when we are that age...can we make sure we don't let each other wear awful slacks with awful shoes? (wink wink)