Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Dad Would Be Proud

I decided to polish up Chris's work shoes today. It made me feel like a very 1940s wife and that I should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, too. (Wait, I've done that before.) It was kind of fun though seeing the before (left) and after (right). Subtle, but makes a difference. Knowing Chris, he probably doesn't care either way, but I figure since they are his "nice" shoes, I might as well make them look good.

I saw my dad polish his shoes weekly when I was little. I bet he still does it. The big brush with soft bristles. The smell of the Kiwi container. It brings me back. It also brings me back to a memory I have sitting on the concrete floor of my barracks, outside at Fort Jackson. My entire platoon was on break time which meant TCB (take care of business). Polishing our boots was one of those tasks. We'd have to unlace the shoe strings, apply the polish, then buff them up until they were nice and shiny to pass inspections.

Luckily, no inspections here today.

1 comments:

gm said...

it's nice to see that some girls still look out for their husbands. i think our world is all about the story of the guy pursuing and doing anything to serve and win a girls heart. that's awesome, and a huge part of our story(christ's story and pursuit of us), but we rarely see examples of the girl looking after and being an advocate for their guy in return and in those sort of ways(the believer's & church's response to christ's pursuit & sacrifice). you've got a great demonstration of the gospel right there friend. that's exactly how the creator of marriage intended our daily story to look, a reflection of the gospel in that way.