Wednesday, July 06, 2011

How To Keep Your Kid's Interest Without Buying More Stuff

 I am not a fan of accumulating stuff and that goes for kids' stuff, too.  I figure babies have developed just fine through the centuries not having hundreds of toys, so I don't feel like my kids need excess.  Here are a few things I've found helpful when facing boredom in the home.


* Change location of toys.  Rotate to different rooms or outside, if durable in outdoor weather.  Suddenly a ball or buggy becomes interesting again when placed outside instead of in the playroom.  The ball can now be kicked with full force, bounced off of the brick patio, and chased by a dog.  The buggy becomes a carriage for sticks, rocks, and grass and can be transported throughout the yard.  Books that were on a shelf in the bedroom can be located instead on a table in the playroom or in a basket in the living room.
* Hide toys for future use.  When a toy becomes mundane and boring to the child, pack away to bring out another day.  It will eventually become novelty again.
* Create activity stations.  A couple of weeks ago I was teaching Vera the colors blue and red.  I made little stations for each color and brought out items from throughout the house of those colors.  It could have been a sock or tube of toothpaste, but suddenly everyday items became not only a teaching lesson but something of interest.  Seeing all sorts of objects of the same color together was fun for me to collect and fun for Vera to play with.
* Interaction vs. Solitary  I've noticed that Vera will enjoy playing with something on her own for awhile, but when I get on her level and play with her, it is a different ball game.  She will enjoy a puzzle on her own for a few minutes, then I can come sit with her and she will continue for much longer.
* Swap with friends.  This has been a lifesaver for us.  When a child's attention span can be limited, it is great to have a community of moms who are willing to swap toys, books, and contraptions.  Everyone has spent money on some items, so why not share?  Vera has a lot of "girly" toys; babies, stroller, buggy, etc.  It has been fun to borrow cars, ramps, tractors, tools, and toddler sports equipment.  It has also worked out really well doing the same with infant contraptions because sometimes they are only helpful for just a few months.  We own an infant swing and doorway jumper and in the past have borrowed an exersaucer, play gym, bouncer, and walker.  Another perk to swapping is that you don't have to overcrowd your home or storage spaces.

1 comments:

Jenny said...

I love your creativity in finding fun without the need for excess! I feel like I should be taking notes for when I have kids...I'll just call you instead. ( :