Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's Just a Piece of Glass

I've been reading a lot lately about the minds and character of girls.  It has been insightful, to say the least, since I am raising two really wonderful little ones of my own.  I adore them and think they are beautiful and want to teach them healthy self-image.  I want them to understand that in Christ alone are they fulfilled.  I want them to be able to discern lies and wickedness when they see it.  I want to teach them so much and while processing all this, I discover the dirt that's in my own heart.  How do I raise daughters in this world and protect them from all the crap?  I don't know the answer to that, but a glimpse of hope is that since my little girl watches every move I make, I know that I am able to influence her world.  "Because of that, I will resist ever speaking negatively about myself, especially in front of her.  I will be a size 12 or 8 or 4 proudly and confidently, proving that it's sexier than hell.  I will not tug at my swimsuit and will walk tall in the body God gave me.  I will easily change my clothes in front of their dad, proud of my stretch marks that gave us a family, of the breasts that nourished his babies.  I will eat dessert and raise my glass and laugh my way to deeper smile lines.  I will do my best to praise my girls for their mind, heart, and motives, as much as I praise them for their beauty."  I pray for God's help to help my daughters overcome all the struggles that lie ahead in a world that thinks you're only as good as you look.  After all, the mirror that we're all obsessed with...it's just a piece of glass.

from www.emergingmummy.com

3 comments:

Brittany P. said...

Amen, thanks for sharing. Love this.

Emily said...

Beautifully put Carey. Lord help us as we help our girls!

Danitad said...

Very well put Carey. This post made me tear up a bit.