Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's in a Name?

We've selected nomenclature for our next offspring.  Here's the thought process behind it all.

Lydia
We've always liked the name.  To us, it sounds timeless, feminine, classic, and sweet.  We have one friend by this name (we love her), and although it's not after her, she is the only one we've known.  Lydia is a Biblical name, and although we are not ones to choose necessarily on that basis, it is always interesting to research the story of the person that God wanted mentioned in His Word.  Not much is mentioned about her, but what we do know is taken from the short passage out of Acts 16:6-40.  Here's what I've gathered about this woman from reading.
She seemed strong and competent, warm, open-hearted, and caring.  She seemed to have her priorities straight with prayer, worship, and keeping God first in a busy life.  She managed a thriving business, maintained a home, and offered her home to a crowd of strangers.

She believed in and was a worshiper of God, but something hadn't clicked yet and her heart had not been fully open to God.  After praying with Paul, she experienced the joy of brand new faith and would never be the same.

As a result, she and her entire house came to know the Lord and she opened her house to the ministry of Christ.  She became a servant, tending to the needs of the missionaries.

I pray all these characteristics for my daughter.

Ruth
Another Biblical name.  To us, it sounds strong and assertive, and will serve as a reminder and testament of where God had us in our marriage during the months expecting our second daughter.

"Let me go where you go.  Your people will be my people and your God will be my God."  -Ruth 1:16

This is probably one of the most well-known verses from the book of Ruth.  It was the charge given to us at our wedding and I still remember hearing it and standing beside my husband-to-be.  If you go and read the story from the book of Ruth, loyalty is a theme that is prevalent.

Chris and I have journeyed through hard times in our marriage and I continue to look at the verse above and remind myself of the promise we made to each other and to God.  Regardless of the circumstances, loyalty is something I choose.  I will go where he goes and will stick by his side.

So, Lydia Ruth it is.

1 comments:

Brittany P. said...

love it ~it's just beautiful!