Thursday, January 13, 2011

Predictable Days

I was thinking today how being a stay at home mom can be pretty isolating at times.  My daily routine revolves around Vera's schedule and this means that naturally we don't get out much.  Here's how my life looks every day:

7:30ish  Vera wakes up.  I roll out of bed, throw on a robe, and go into her room.  Diaper change, clothes change.

7:45ish  I put her in her high chair and get her set up with her cup of milk and breakfast; usually oatmeal, yogurt, and a banana.  Sometimes toast, eggs, or cooked apples.  Sometimes cereal.  Sometimes berries.

8:15ish  I've changed clothes and we are headed for the gym.  I drop her off at the day care and she plays for the hour to hour and half that I work out.  I am so thankful for this time.  I usually listen to a sermon podcast, sometimes music, or if nothing else, I watch the Ellen Show.  I pick her up and we go home.

10:00ish  Back home and I stick Vera in the bathroom with me as I take a shower.  She rummages through the bathroom cabinet underneath the sink and I pick up the combs, hair ties, make-up, and towels that she has gone through.  I dry off and get dressed as she plays in her room with books, toys, diapers, you name it.  Play time (walks in the backyard, wagon ride around the neighborhood, stories, toys, etc.).

11:30  Lunch.  I try to get her to eat as much as possible before her nap so she will sleep really well.

12:00  Diaper change and down for her nap.  (During this time, I usually prep dinner, clean, walk Marlow, and waste time on the Internet.)

3:00  I get her up and give her a snack.  I usually put music on at this point since I've been sitting in silence all day.  Playtime.

5:00  Dinner time for Vera.

6:00  Bath time, books.  Chris gets home.
6:30-9:30  Bed time for Vera.  Chris and I eat dinner, hang out, get in bed to read for a half hour.

10:00  Lights out.

-----

All this to say, I am certainly not complaining.  I am just realizing how little interaction I get with other humans throughout the day and often times I feel lonely and isolated from the world.  I have friends that don't live that far away, but because of our kids' conflicting nap schedules, work schedules, and whatnot, it is rare that we even see each other.

It's times like this when I miss my friend, Emily.  She's the chic who up and moved to Tahoe.  This was us at the end of our first pregnancies.
And here is us at 2010 Thanksgiving time holding our out-of-utero offspring and baking two other buns in our ovens.  She is a great friend and after having our 4-day-apart babies, we spent a lot of time on walks just to get outside because of our baby blues.
I know I'm not the only mom who feels isolated during the day, but sometimes I feel like it.

3 comments:

jen said...

friend, you are not alone! i go to bed at night thinking of what we could possibly do the next day to make the day a little more interesting.

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I still feel like that six years later. It's hard some days. But you're kind of awesome, so I'm sure you'll be okay. It's funny, but things got easier for me when I had two kids instead of just one. Strangest phenomenon ever.

i'm 7 hours ahead of you, so if you ever need to chat during the day, I am up until 3 pm your time. With an Indiana phone number!

Emily said...

I miss you too sweet friend.