Thursday, November 04, 2010

Day 4: Your Parents

Meet Tom and Debbie.  Mid-westerners born and raised.  Married 35 years.  They started seeing each other when my mom was 17 years old and continued dating until she graduated college from Indiana University.  In the meantime, my dad traveled with an a capella Christian singing group around the country.  They were called The Horizons.  My parents are fun people.  They like to go out to eat, geo-cache, hike, and go to their local watering hole to fill up on natural spring water.  My dad plays guitar and my mom sews.  They have a pretty nice garden and counted out cash on the living room floor to pay for a second story addition to their home when I was in 3rd grade.  I remember counting out the hundred dollar bills.  They are frugal, simple people and are enjoyable to be around.  I've never seen my dad without a beard and my mom won't allow him to shave it.  They still go on vacations together and love Blue Bell ice cream.  My dad has a quirky sense of humor that is sometimes funny and sometimes embarrassing.  My mom is a good sport, laughs with him, and loves him for it.  My dad is a deacon at their church and my mom serves people well by cooking for them.  She's also a good party planner and thinks of the details.  They make decisions together and communicate well.  They raised 3 kids and now have an empty nest.  My dad is a mail carrier and has been for 30-something years.  My mom is a Teacher's Assistant and has mostly worked with Special Ed students, ranging from pre-school to adult GED classes.  They are both upon retirement in the next handful of years and it will be fun to see what their lives look like once that season comes.  They are wonderful grandparents and spoil their granddaugthers.  They have taught me much in life and for that, I love them.

1 comments:

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

Love this. Love them. Love you.