Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Day 3: Your First Love

Well, I'm not quite sure how to classify "love."  Do I count my first crush?  Boyfriend?  Kiss?  Or do I go for my first serious relationship?  My first love...hmm.  That would be Jesus.  Okay, but alive today?  Let's go with my first serious crush and whom I thought "love" for the first time.  (But you have to know that even as a little girl, I was quite the romantic, so I "loved" a lot of people.)

Let's call him Jack.  I liked him for 6 years but he dated my best friend.  Eek!  Of course I never said anything about my unrequited love because my friendship with her was much more important, but I do remember feeling hurt a lot just seeing them happy together.  One of the first memories I have of Jack was couple-skating with him at the local Rollerina (that's right!) in my hometown.  I was in 6th grade, I think.  That was pre-date-my-best-friend era.  The song we skated to, I believe, was Michael Jackson's "When You Were Not Alone."

We went to my sophomore Homecoming dance together and dressed in matching outfits, khaki pants, blue top, and brown leather shoes.  We held hands a few times and I leaned my head on his shoulder once during a car ride, but that was the extent of our affection.

Once best friend and Jack started dating, I found other interests and fun people to hang out with, but I think I always had a certain place in my heart for Jack.

Fast forward 15+ years.  I saw Jack recently while home visiting my parents.  It was great to see him, but having been joyfully married to the love of my life for 5 years, it was evident to see that it was never God's plan for us to be together anyway.  Those kind of confirmations are always nice.  I do wish Jack all the best though.  :)

0 comments: