Wednesday, April 07, 2010

unnecessary pressure.

the last couple of nights i have not slept well at all. part of it is due to nervousness about my race on sunday. my first one and i am pumped, however i am also jittery already. i know this is dumb, but i feel like i'm already disappointed in myself because i don't think i'll be able to run the whole thing. i'd love to say i ran the entire thing without walking, but the last couple of runs have been pretty exhausting, so i'm not feeling too optimistic. i'm taking it very easy this week and tapering down my distance, but i still have this fear of running outside. i'm a treadmill girl and i think it's way easier than running on pavement. the treadmill has a bounce to it, so it's easier on your knees and with a fan behind me and music to listen to, i can't say it's been too difficult yet.

all this analyzing is stupid, i know. i'm the one who signed up for the race and i'm doing it because i want to. this isn't the military. i don't have anyone screaming at me this time. if i want to stop, i can and it won't mean i'm any less of a runner or a quitter. if i didn't want to show up on sunday morning, i wouldn't have to. i'm my own boss this time. the downside though is that i just have high expectations of myself and i am hard on myself if i don't meet them.

3 comments:

Karissa said...

good luck carey! you'll do better than you think, races are so exciting, and your adrenaline will push you through. I think it's really good to mix it up and do some of your runs on the road and some on the treadmill every week, if you can.

take it slow at the beginning of the race, a lot of people sprint at the start and then run out of steam and have to walk. and don't feel bad if you do walk, there aint no shame in walking :)

Laura said...

You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! You can do it! Soooo proud of you sister!

Unknown said...

You're going to do great, Carey. Rain or shine, walk or run, it's going to be fun and you know that deep down, I know you do!! I'm proud of you and admire you for your perseverance and I am planning to be somewhere on the sidelines (near the High School, somewhere) to cheer you on! :) YOU CAN DO IT! :D