Monday, February 22, 2010

my nemisis.

i am a self-proclaimed hater of running but have been doing so for about a month and a half now. it doesn't make any sense, i know. but i joined a gym at the beginning of january and they offer a free hour of childcare for vera up until 6 months of age, then 2 hours for 6 months and older. that's a nice incentive because otherwise, a work-out wouldn't even be possible. we walk a lot in our neighborhood and hike the greenbelt with marlow, but those don't make me sweat. and i have to say now that i've been doing it consistently for awhile now, it feels good to sweat and feel the aches and pains of exercise.

all of january i ran one mile each day. (gotta start somewhere, right?) february came and i decided to step it up to two and a half miles. i'm scared that it's almost march. i'm not educated about how to train, so i'm just making up my own thing and feeling it out. i suppose i'll increase it by at least a half mile. i think 3 miles a day will be my max for awhile though. but i'm also learning that it is much more of a mental battle for me than anything else. i have to run with my ipod because the sound of my breathing (or lack of) discourages me. i bring a towel or sweatshirt to drape over the treadmill so that i can't look at the numbers, progress, and time..otherwise i'm obsessed with it and looking every 2 seconds which makes 2 1/2 miles seems like an eternity. if i can just listen to my music, get in the rhythm with my breathing (in the nose, out the mouth), then i'm mostly able to tune out active thinking and just run. :) it is a nice repreive from being mommy 24/7 and i feel like it makes me mentally healthier, too, to have that short break.

i would like to sign up for a 5k or something this year. i remember doing the race for the cure our first year of marriage here in austin. and i still wear the shirt. but let me tell you what a poser i am. i definitely remember walking more than i ran and if i sign up for another race someday, i'd like to say i actually ran the whole thing. if i ever do a half-marathon (gasp!), i think i would be okay with walking some of it for the first time though. this is all new for me, so we will see where it goes.

i am also really enjoying the dance class i'm in at my gym. i do it 3x/week and they just introduced a new routine, which means i am completely lost again. it's a good thing though. i had the old one down and was getting bored with it. this new one has a lot more jazz/ballet stuff. last time it was more latin and hip hop. it will taken me a few weeks to figure out the moves, but i have so much fun.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

it is so funny that you wrote about your running today, because i was going to email you and ask you all about it. i really need to start running...but i really really hate it.

hollie marie said...

HEY! Run with me in November!!! Rock & Roll San Antonio Half!