Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Countdown Begins

Yes, folks, it's true. I gave my two week's notice today and will officially be no longer working for 'the man' (or in my case, 'the woman.'). 16 days left. I am thrilled. The goal, of course, is to be self-sustainable so that I don't have to get another part-time job, but I'm guessing I won't have enough clients ordering weekly meal service, which is consistent income for me (as opposed to one-time catering gigs), so I'll have to find some kind of supplemental income early next year. Nonetheless, I already feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I have worked for "the other company" for two and a half years, which isn't all that long, however, I started it while in culinary school and learned a few tricks along the way which helped me form my own business plan. And it taught me a lot about what not to do, too. I can't tell you how happy I am to be counting down. Celebrate for me, will ya?

Work has again been consuming my life. Working for myself is very rewarding and I have seen an 82.36% increase in business this year compared to last. What Black Friday does to the retail world is what December does for my business. I earn the majority of my income for the entire year within one month. It's exhilarating. I am so thankful God showed me this path in life. I have a deep love for all things edible and especially enjoy sharing my gift with others. Speaking of which, I am catering a party for 50 this weekend for a bunch of ladies from my church. It's always more fun to work when you're serving people you know. They seem to appreciate the work more.


3 comments:

Kevin said...

If i was rich, and lived in texas, i'd totally hire you to cook for me if i wasn't married. I'm just lazy like that!

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I would hire you to cook for me too. And I am married. Too bad Germany is not one tiny bit closer to Texax than Colorado! :(

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I promise I know it's TexaS. It's been a long day!