Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Tarry

tar·ry 1 (tr)

v. tar·ried, tar·ry·ing, tar·ries
v.intr.
1. To delay or be late in going, coming, or doing. See Synonyms at stay1.
2. To wait.
3. To remain or stay temporarily, as in a place; sojourn.
v.tr. Archaic
To wait for; await.
n.
A temporary stay; a sojourn.


God has been reminding me lately the importance of taking a Sabbath. My favorite days with Him are when I escape for a hike with Marlow. When I seek out that time of solitude, I always hear Him speak. Thinking of this, I am reminded of the hymn, "In the Garden." (Except for me it would be called, "In the Greenbelt.") What great words it speaks. The chorus goes: "And He walks with me, and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known." And humming it to myself, I get stuck on the word tarry. That's not a word I often use, but I love it. Isn't that exactly what God wants for us when taking our Sabbath?

0 comments: