Friday, May 04, 2007

Remodeled Guest Room

Doing the guest room was one one of my favorite projects. I think I had so much fun because I learned to be creative and make a comfortable place for our guests to stay out of little or no money at all. There are a ton of paint cans in the garage. Some were left by the previous home owners. Others are some that we have used, and I found two cans of some that we had bought that we didn't end of liking for a different room. I totally forgot about it, so it was a great surprise when I ended up liking the color for the guest room.

This was the full sized bed that we had in our queen frame ever since we got married. When we finally got a mattress to fit our bed, this one got moved to the guest room, which was perfect because we didn't have a real guest bed before. I got 4 cinder blocks for $1.20 each, and that's what it's sitting on. A dust cover takes care of hiding it though!

We had a closet full of picture frames that weren't being used (mostly mine from college and growing up), so I picked out the black ones and that's what initiated this room having black accents. In the 3 by the window, they are all photographs that my big brother took at a family reunion in Missouri. One is of my dad playing his guitar, another a close-up of a cousin playing banjo, and the other is a picture of an elderly lady's hand holding a hymnal. One of my greatest memories is getting together at the farm and playing and singing to bluegrass. I love incorporating them into the room.

The red blanket was a gift for our wedding. I just found other items to compliment it to make it a better looking bed. I made the head board (although positioned a bit high) by covering a chanvas with fabric and securing it on the back with a staple gun.

We had the shelving already, but didn't like them in the room we had originially bought them for. I found the little Singer sewing machine table on Craig's List and hunted it down.

I think the last thing to do in the guest room is to find some kind of dresser, and that will go under the single shelf. We are expecting a lot of company this summer (which we are so excited about!), so getting the guest room done was a priority. I think it's so fun to decorate a house and make it a home.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Very cute!! I love the black and white photos! BJ and I have been working slowly on decorating our home. My biggest problem is that I can't make decisions! We've had a pile of frames on our family room floor for 2 months! Love reading your blog! - Jessie

Unknown said...

IT LOOKS GREAT! WOW! I love the bedding....beautiful!
Miss you....love, Jenny