Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Food for Thought

Yesterday was my first day of culinary school. I am taking two classes; Sanitation and Nutrition. Every three weeks, I finish a block (consisting of 2 classes) and move on to the next block. So basically I will be taking intensives for the next year. I started yesterday, and I have an exam in each class on Friday, then my mid-term in next Wednesday. Crazy, huh? I have to really stay on top of things in order to do as well as I want. I have a feeling I will really need more self-discipline for this new academic journey. I learned about inhumane things that happen on chicken farms during the production of the poultry. It makes me want to raise my own chickens. Also, here's some "food for thought"...You know how there are so many products out there today in grocery stores to accomadate vegetarians and vegans; such as, "Not-A-Dogs" (hotdogs) and Veggie Burgers and something that looks and sort of tastes like cheese, but it's not? Well, my chef instructor brought up a good point. What about those who don't eat vegetables? How can our equal opportunity society accomadate their tastes? Chef Ritter ingeniously gave some suggestions for names to call vegetable subsitutes made from meat products...."Tomeatos" and "Mockoli." Anyone have an any other ideas??

0 comments: