Monday, December 05, 2005

Setting the Kitchen on Fire

So I set the kitchen on fire last night...making hot tea. It was my first experience using a fire extinguisher, which now I kind of regret because I think we have to pay a fine for it. The plan was to soak up the rest of our weekend with a movie and some hot tea, cuddling on our cancerous couch (we regretfully bought it used from a smoker--the odor will be gone today, however, because we're getting it steam cleaned). Chris was in the other room, and as the water was boiling, all of a sudden I looked at the stove and there were flames about 3 feet high. I yelled for him so that he could come help me. He thought (after hashing the situation thereafter) I had said, "Spider!" instead of "Fire!" and that's why he didn't come to the rescue. So, in a moment of panic and quick determination, I pulled out the extinguisher from under the sink and started spraying. For some reason, in my head, water just didn't seem like it would do the trick. Have you ever used a fire extinguisher? I learned that it leaves a THICK yellow dust everywhere. The smoke detector went off (I'm sure our neighbors were happy abou that.) and I opened the screen door to help the smoke filter out. Finally Chris came into the kitchen to check on the status with the spider. He was thoroughly confused when he saw the yellow remains. Thus, I set the kitchen on fire. Looking back, I wish I would have used my fire protection knowledge to "beef up" the situation; like, I should have stopped, dropped, and rolled once the fire was out, just to make sure...then, I should have Army-crawled into the bedroom, where Chris was, felt the door with the back of my hand first, then entered to save him. Oh, the fun we can have with everyday experiences!

2 comments:

amanda said...

Carey, you guys are crazy...but of course, it's the crazy things that keep life fun, right? :) love you

Kevin said...

Ahh fire extinguishers. I had an OSHA class in college and the one day everybody woke up in the middle of his speach was the day he decided to pull the pin and spray the thing and the students. It was so loud for 8am in the morning. Man i hated that class. But now think, when all the students in the culinary school start fires, your already a pro!!!