Monday, February 27, 2012

Behavorial Incentives For A 2 Year Old

Vera, my 2 year old, responds well to positive feedback.  One of the best tricks I've learned if wanting to modify a behavior is to praise one of her friends for doing something well (sharing, obeying, etc.) when she is within earshot.  She, too, wants praise, so it motivates her to do the right thing the next time.  Though I am more concerned with the condition of her heart than behavior modification, there are times and situations when incentives help her learn.
I stole this glass jar incentive idea from someone else.  After about a month of doing it, it's working great!  I had everything on hand already, so putting it together for use was quick.  I gathered some glass votive candle holders, rocks, jingle bells and sparkly balls from my craft stuff.  We decided that there were six specific areas that we wanted to help her work on, so I found pictures and printed labels to help her take ownership.  When she gets in her car seat without a fight, I praise her for it and tell her that she gets to go put something in her jar.  When she stays in bed (and doesn't moan underneath her door) during nap time, she gets to put something in her jar.  This has become exciting to her and she often asks about the status of her jar.
For rewards, I chose three things I know she likes; ice cream, bike rides, and watching a TV show.  It is really special if she gets to go on a bike ride with one of us.  Watching TV and dessert are not everyday occurrences here, so these are special to her, too.  As she takes initiative to obey on her own, we in that moment try to tell her how much it pleases God and reward her for her good behavior.  I'm not sure how long this will do the trick, but for now it's working!

1 comments:

JKreeger said...

Cool idea! Let me know how it works. A toddler has been showing up at my house every once and a while.. eek (he's growing up so fast!) :) Love you.