Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Making It Stretch

Chris and I each get $30 a week for our personal spending money.  Anything that does not fit it the categories of groceries and gas has to be purchased using our weekly cash.  Some weeks it's easier than others to make it last through Friday.  Other weeks it's more difficult.  It is Wednesday and my money is already gone.  Here's how I spent it.

$2.50     French Press coffee at Thunderbird Coffee
$2.15     oatmeal at Whole Foods
$5.00     Christmas gift
$7.82     stuff at Home Depot (supplying my Pinterest addiction)
$13.00   jeans at Old Navy (I had a Groupon and store credit in addition)
----------
$30.47

Considering I've got Thursday and Friday yet, I'll depend on the coinage in my change purse if I need anything.  Most weeks I think it's a fun challenge to stay within our means.  But I could do a better job and especially need a boost this time of year when spending comes so easily.
--
Anyone else live on a budget?  Love?  Hate?

3 comments:

JKreeger said...

We need to. Seriously. Jealous.

gm said...

i love the system you guys work on for yourselves. very smart for sure.

we worked on this sort of thing for a little while and still ran into it being too much on occasion. the biggest and most freeing thing i've done in response is that through the spring and summer, i completely weaned myself off money. it took a little bit, but now it makes life so easy. i just stopped going anywhere or doing anything that would cost money. if it costs any money, at all, i don't do it. $0 per month. much easier to keep track of too. this helps free up my conscience and puts the money in jen's hands for getting us by with what we need.

great stuff carey.

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

We budget. I claim to hate it, but when an emergency pops up and I don't have to worry, or I happen to glance at our savings account that actually has money in it, I absolutely love it.