Monday, June 27, 2011

Food-Related Thoughts

One week down of no sweets!  If you know me, you know this is quite the victory.

Here are a few food-related thoughts from this week:

* nonfat Greek yogurt + unsweetened applesauce + chopped pecans = almost as good as ice cream!
* I've had a caprese salad everyday for the past 4 days and I don't plan on stopping any time soon.  Ah, summer time.
* I'm really missing out on having a grill this summer.  Ours died and we are saving up for another, but it will probably not be until the end of this year.  So I've brought out the grill pan, which is hardly a substitute, but at least I can pretend.
*I'm trying out Costco to find a few quick go-to meals to have during the week.  I plan 2 ambitious meals a week now (quite the change, but that's what kids to do you, I guess) and fill in with a few other easy menus.  I'll let you know if I discover anything good.  This week I bought their felafel and naan but will still be making my own tzaziki and chopping red onion, tomatoes, olives and greens.  This is a pretty good compromise and I'm hoping the felafel tastes okay.
* Made a loaf of this bread yesterday.  It's a little more dense than I'd hoped, but it's super fast to make and is satisfying our bread needs for the week.  Talk about on the cheap.  I'm going to make another loaf today using bread flour, butter instead of oil, and molasses instead of honey.
* Adding a mint leaf or a slice of lime or cucumber to water makes me feel fancy.

0 comments: