Tuesday, April 12, 2011

More Than a Mom

After reading this article, written by one of my favorite local bloggers, I began to think about what makes me me.  What I mean by this is that since my days are filled to the max with diaper changing, refilling of cups, wiping a snotty nose countless times, and breathing deeply through tantrums, I wanted to sit and write down a list of things about myself that have nothing to do with my tasks of motherhood.

I love to sing.
I love to run.
I love to cook/bake.
I love entertaining, having people over, and putting pretty napkins on the table.
I love having time to write snail mail.
I really love my dog.
I love alone time in a coffee shop, observing people or reading.

My shoe size is 9.  My feet stopped growing in 6th grade.
I typically go for sweet over salty.
My husband proposed to me over Thai food.
I own a lot of black clothing.

2011 has been the first year we have consistently stayed in budget every week.
We once lost our dog for a week, then found him again.
I have several permanent scars on my wrists from pulling things out of the oven.
My facial soap always smells like garlic.

If there weren't other big matters to get involved with in life, I could easily be an animal activist.
My favorite class in college was a sociology class about race, class, and religion.
I haven't read very many books this year.
Sometimes I still scribble my maiden name because it looks pretty in cursive.

While being a mom is of utmost importance, I think it's equally as important to continue being Carey and to reconnect with things I enjoy.  Perhaps that sounds self-centered to you.  It sounds heavenly to me.

4 comments:

Brittany P. said...

Totally love this ;) not at all self centered!

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

As someone who has known you longer than I care to admit because it will give away my age, I can say with utter certainty two things:

1) Your maiden name DOES look pretty in cursive. (And yes, I just wrote it simply so I could agree with you.)

and

B) You are not someone I would accuse of being self-centered. Ever.

Anonymous said...

We are basically the same person. I have burn scars over my forearms :)

The Mommy Therapy said...

Love it!

Anyone that calls things like this self centered just don't get it. And believe me, I have gotten more than my share of self centered comments for saying I love and miss me sometimes.

It is so important to remember all those cool things about yourself. Celebrate them!

And staying in budget all of 2011? Please come teach me your secret. We just blew ours out of the water this weekend.

Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate it!