Friday, March 18, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

I had two separate friends approach me recently about keeping Vera.  They knew that with the nearby arrival of our second, that we would appreciate some time together.

Yesterday my friend kept Vera from 10am until 8pm!!  She picked her up and dropped her back off bathed, fed, and in her pjs.  I didn't sleep well the night before because I was so excited to have a day off from being a mom.  Maybe that sounds bad, but I hadn't realized how overdue I was for a break.  It was nothing short of glorious.  I told Chris that I knew I would miss her but that I would let her go with joy.  How often does someone offer to babysit all day, no questions asked?  Seriously, I felt so blessed.  Here's the play by play of how I spent my time.

Body Pump
met up with a friend for coffee
came home, made lunch, ate out in the patio, journaled
took an hour long hike with Marlow
layed out at a pool for over an hour, read my book, got in the water
went to dinner with my hubs
came home, played a game

I once had someone keep Vera for about 5 hours and it was right before her birthday, so I spent my time crazily driving from place to place and going in and out of stores getting things for her party.  It was exhausting and miserable, in my opinion.  I told myself I wouldn't waste my time like that again.  It was so nice to not have an agenda, to not go into any store, to have alone time, and to live at my own pace.  I cannot tell you how healthy it was for me.  I feel like I lived.  I remembered that I like myself.  I'd forgotten how much I loved to just sit and read God's Word.  I found that if I can be active, outside, and with Marlow all day long, I am blissful.  Chris commented how nice it was to come home to a happy wife.  Sadly, it's true that I don't remember the last time I really laughed. It's not at all that I dislike my life as a stay at home mom.  I feel completely blessed in being able to raise my daughter.  It's just that when there's no relief from the wonderful yet exhausting ride of motherhood, it can grate on you.  I felt no guilt in allowing someone else to hang out with her yesterday.  And from several texts and pictures throughout the day, the consensus was "dang, I love your girl."  What a compliment.

But that's not all.

Wait for it.

It just so happens that it worked out for today to be the day when friend # 2 would offer to keep Vera OVERNIGHT.  Holy Moly...seriously?  Um, yes please.  Of course, I'm holding on a little tighter and giving extra hugs and kisses this morning, but when I drop her off around lunch time, Chris will be home since he is taking a half day, and I'll get to have 24 hours of uninterrupted time with my husband.  That is rare and I am so thankful for friends who step up to offer this kind of love and service to us.  It means so much, especially not having family who live nearby.  I'm sure I'll give you a play by play of what we end up doing.  :)

0 comments: