Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 19: Something You Miss

This is fitting.  I am currently in Indiana and just spent some time going through my old closet, looking through papers and pictures and projects from elementary school through high school.  I came across a letter that I wrote (circa 1994) to my deceased pet, Snickerdoodle, my gerbil, whom I accidentally killed.  It was very traumatic for me at the age of 10, but somehow I got over it and am functioning normally in life once again.

Background story:  When cleaning out her cage, I would transfer the beloved rodent to one of those clear balls that they could roll around on the floor in.  This particular time, she managed to get loose from my hands and was running around the house.  In an attempt to catch her and put her safely in the ball, I was frantically chasing her down.  Little 4th grade me accidentally kicked her in the head and I remember seeing her go into convulsions until she lay still with no movement.  I tried to awaken her with a drop of water on my fingertip, but that was the end for Snickerdoodle.  We put her in a plastic Cool Whip container on the back porch.  I checked on her for a few days before realizing that she wasn't coming to and it was time to bury her in the backyard.

I can now say that I no longer miss Snickerdoodle, but she will always be remembered.  :)

2 comments:

jen said...

that is probably one of the most hilarious things i've ever read. i like how you take the time to explain to snickerdoodle how the kitty pool in your dream functions :)

Brittany P. said...

awh, I think it is SO sweet! Crazy how our minds work when we are little!!!