Sunday, January 03, 2010

don't worry, i got permission to post this story.

i have always enjoyed taking care of the domestic duties around the home; dishes, cooking, making beds, straightening up, and laundry. i have my system and would consider myself rather efficient. there is a specific place for most things and always before going to bed, the kitchen has to be clean and the pillows on the couch fluffed. no joke. some might say i am anal retentive or at best OCD, but i know that i function better in life when there is order. i know, i know, i am a rare breed. i should be very thankful that my husband has kept me around this long!

all that to say, while i was up to my neck with things to do this afternoon, my lovely husband was leisurely enjoying his book in the living room. we try not to judge how each other spends our time, but sometimes, i must admit, it is not easy for me to be the wife, the housekeeper, the mom, the dogmom, the errand-runner, grocery-shopper, etc. i really do try not to nag. and i think he'd say i don't do it that much. but i was holding my tongue today.

he finishes up reading and comes into that kitchen and asks what he should do with his time. i ask him to do the laundry that is piled up in the laundry room--though probably not the response he was looking for. as he begins to throw in a load, i peek out of the corner of my eye and once again, hold my tongue. he may not be doing it the way i would do it, but the goal is for the clothes to be cleaned, right? so what could go wrong?

he's had a little rough patch in the past the one other time i asked him to help with laundry and the result was slightly pinkish clothes. but we've moved past that.

no big deal.

while unloading the first load into the dryer, he asks when i do laundry why it comes out dirty. i didn't understand so i went over to check out the situation and found that two rugs had frolicked in wet merriment with soft baby clothes among other delicates. and dirty they were.

we had a good laugh together. i'm not sure if he really doesn't know how to do laundry or if this is part of his grand scheme so that i don't ask him again. :) regardless, i love him and enjoy moments like this when i can pick on the smarty pants engineer that he is.

the end.

3 comments:

Brittany P. said...

Chris & Steve have a lot in common... though Steve has now learned that he can do towels & his own laundry. :) He leaves my cloths unwashed b/c I'm such a freak about what gets washed together/dried or not dried etc. Too funny!

Jess said...

I love that line - "frolicked in wet merriment" - that cracks me up! :)

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I think Paul only owns dark clothes so when he goes away and actually has to do his own laundry he doesn't have to sort anything.

I learned years ago that if I need help, that Paulo will rather scrub the floor with a rag and bucket than do anything else. So that's what I have him do.