Sunday, May 03, 2009

Hello, Love

My neighbor has a few weapons and has recently assembled an AR-16, equivalent to M-16. He heard that I was in the Army and wanted to see me break it down. So I did the honors and cleaned it while it was apart. I can't say I was able to do it blind-folded and under a minute like I could do five years ago, but it felt so good to have my hands on such a prize again. The smell brought me back in a flash to Basic Training, summer of 2002. I could picture that darn foxhole that I had to dig myself (6 ft. deep x 4 ft. wide x 2 ft. long) with a shovel, practically the size of a children's shovel used to play in sand boxes. I reminisced, doing a few Drill and Ceremony moves, too. I really want a gun now. For the record, did you know I qualified as an Expert Sharpshooter? Seems like another lifetime.





2 comments:

hollie marie said...

Wow! That's a fun & interesting little tidbit! I knew you did your time in the Army but didnt know you were a marksman! That's wildly impressive. :)

our family said...

Hey Carey! I just saw your blog on the Ford's. Hope you are doing well! Congratulations on your baby... I'm due about 10 days after you with number 3. Miss seeing your face on Sundays. Praying big blessings for your pregnancy. Yea for fall babies!