Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Should I Complain?

Recently I went to a becoming-less-of-a-favorite store, Forever 21, to look around and see specifically if they had any extra-flowy shirts in which I could fit. Since it is a bit of a hike, I go only a few times a year, but usually find at least one piece of clothing I like. But the last several times I've gone, my shopping experience has been spoiled completely by the employees working there. This most recent time was no different. I walked into the store and immediately noticed how loud the music was blaring. I don't think I'm too old to enjoy loud music. You expect it when you go to a concert (or some churches for that matter), but you don't expect such deafening sounds in a store. I could tell other shoppers were aware of this and also annoyed. Seriously, it was WAY too loud. Out of the ordinary, and definitely inexcusable. I walked up to the counter and spoke with the Store Manager. (Granted, she looked only 16, but hey, I figured they must have trained her for this position and taught her about customer satisfaction, at least.) I asked politely if she wouldn't mind turning down the music. She gave me a very ugly look and told me that it was part of the store's environment. I asked her in a different way, mentioning that since she's the store manager it seems like she might be able to help the situation. We go on for a few minutes, me asking a different way each time, and her finding an excuse to my requests. Finally she huffs off and turns it down (hardly at all) and immediately goes to the closest employee to talk about me and give dirty looks. I continue my shopping and notice every employee I come near gives me a dirty look as I come near them. I go into the dressing room with one item to try on. I come out, no success, and decide to leave the store. Before leaving, I went up to the Store Manager again and thanked her for accomadating me. I wish I would have gotten her name because now I kind of want to call the corporate headquarters to complain. Should I or is this just too trivial? I don't think I'll go out of my way to go to Forever 21 in Austin again.

1 comments:

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

I would call anyway. They will be able to look at the schedule and know who was working at that time. It's one thing if she had just been rude to you about the level of the music, but to gossip about it to other employees shows a HUGE lack of customer service skill. And, if the music is too loud, and CAN be turned down, it is obviously not a part of the store "environment". (And mention that the sales staff has turned you away from shopping at their store again, and that you have told others not to shop there for the same reason.)