Friday, September 12, 2008

What's My Something Radical?

For quite sometime now, Chris and I have been contemplating our lives; the purpose of it, the future of it, etc. I find myself asking the same questions over and over again. We've discovered ourselves. Here we are, in our mid-to-late twenties with a house, jobs, cars, dog, paychecks, vacations, yard work, housework, oil changes, faxes to be made, emails to be sent, lists to complete. And we find ourselves dissatisfied. We recognize the ways that God has provided for us and given us much, however, we want more! Hear me out. We want more than all of this. We want satisfaction at the end of the day that our time was spent well. We want what we do, what we think, where we go, how we spend, what we play, what we read...to all be significant and important in the Kingdom of God. We want to fight for something.

I've been reading this book, "Three Cups of Tea," and man, is it challenging. Greg Mortenson lived out a radical life that served many. Jesus did, too. From it's pages, something beckons each time that I read. I put it down and the question floating in my mind every time is 'what's my something radical?' I feel like Chris and I are still waiting to figure out how God will use us to do something big for Him. We've considered everything from foster parenting to moving across the ocean for cross-cultural missions to campus ministry to church planting to urban ministry out of a sweet shop. But we are reminded of our calling as Christians to take care of the orphans, widows, homeless, naked, and hungry--and whereever God leads us, we are feeling that that is how we want to spend our days.

A heartug from Mother Teresa: It is our duty to care for "the hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers, all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone."

What is your something radical?

2 comments:

Kevin said...

For me the big thing i think is doing the small things. Our church just started a new vision called "Uprising." And where trying to reach out to the community of Long Beach. By doing so, we do random acts of kindness.

I co-lead a bible study with the pastor of the church, and we are challenging our church to come back every week with one thing you did that was random and kind.

So, starting this small thing and encouraging others to love the widowed, the naked, the poor, the etc is where I'm at and where our church is to doing great things.

If He can trust us with the Small stuff then we can handle the big stuff.

Good luck to finding your niche for doing "Great" Things.

Michelle said...

carey. i love this and it has really made me think. thank you.