Friday, September 26, 2008

DIY

Look what I found on the side of the road! This is going to be our kitchen island. It's just about exactly like what we wanted and were saving up to buy, only it was free. Structurally, it is really solid, but you can tell it's had some wear and tear, so just like our cabinets (and the rest of the house for that matter), we're going to do a little rehabilitation. Sand, prime, paint, countertop extension so we can scoot up two bar stools on the reverse side for some extra seating, and new hardware should cover it. The two openings at the top are odd, but hopefully I can find some wide baskets or something to use as drawers. I'm so excited that I found this. I'm telling you, bulk collection days are where it's at.




Also, I'm considering resurfacing our fireplace. It's pretty ugly in general (not to mention it is in the CORNER--who does that?), but I'm seeing some potential. I believe a little TLC can fix just about anything. If not resurfacing (because the cost can add up), then painting or using Brick-A-New. I don't know anything about this product or if it is worth anything, but I love the look it gives. What do you think? And I will definitely be taking off the ugly gold 'n black glass cover, cleaning it out well, and letting it be 'as is' with a free-standing fire place gate.

Those are my current DIY projects right now.

0 comments: