Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I Don't Do Dry Cleaning

I've never used the popular convenience of dry cleaning services before. I was brought up in such a way that if the tag of clothing instructed for "dry cleaning only," then don't buy it because the long-term cost would probably be more than what I'd pay for the shirt, skirt, etc. anyway. Since I got married, for some reason, I stopped allowing the tags to dictate my wardrobe. If I liked the shirt enough to buy it, then I'd buy it, thinking that down the road when it needed cleaned, I'd just hand wash it or something. Well the day finally arrived that my five pieces of "dry clean only" apparel needed refreshment.

I've noticed signs on dry cleaning stores before that advertise for $2.50/item. Apparently that was a special store with a special sale on a special day. There are two stores close by that I checked out, dropping them off at one in particular that didn't have those special signs out. But I didn't really think too much of it because I figured that the dry cleaning business probably needs to be competitive, so I just assumed that the prices would be similar.

Wrong. I call today to check on the price so that I can have enough cash with me to pick them up tomorrow. $37.50. Holy crap. I almost peed my pants in the car while driving. I was estimating on what I thought to be the more spendy side of things when I guessed $5/item, although I was sure it would not be that expensive for just five items. I mean, for real. Call me cheap, but I was not expecting to pay almost 40 bucks to get some clothes washed. This is why I don't do dry cleaning.

2 comments:

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

The only thing we dry clean are Paul's BDUs and blues. But even if I take every piece he has it isn't that expensive!


Dryel is AWESOME though!

Mellifluous said...

I also recommend the home dry cleaning kits. You put the clothes in a special bag with a dry cleaning cloth and put it in your dryer for 1/2 hour. Super easy and much cheaper