Monday, October 15, 2007

Happy Engagement Day

Friday and Saturday I worked long hours preparing and working an event for Saturday night. Sunday we worked sun up to sun down on the house. We're making progress slowly but surely. Chris is so smart about remodeling, it amazes me. The master bathroom is almost done. We just need to get the toilet in, the cabinet, and the hardware. And the trim for the window. So close. Chris finished putting up all the insulation in the ceiling and walls for the laundry room, and the drywall is almost all up. This weekend Chris's dad is coming again to help out. He has been such a huge help to us! They have fun working together and it goes a lot faster with at least two people knowing what they are doing, and I just get to help hold things, fetch things, measure things, and feed them.

Today I embark upon a marathon of working 2 weeks straight without a day off. Sometimes it's draining, and I'm sure by the end I will feel exhausted, but for now, I'm feeling optimistic about it. The hardest thing is coming home and not feeling like I have enough time/energy to keep up with the house, cook, and be a good mom to Marlow.

Finally, for today, I just wanted to let ya'll know that 3 years ago today Chris and I got engaged. Here's the proposal story in short:

I was house-sitting for the Lemans in West Lafayette while they were out of town. I'd go to class then stay the night at their house. I was working as Office Manager at the time for Purdue Christian Campus House. Chris surprised me by delivering a dozen red roses to my desk. That was a Wednesday. When I got to work that day, it was such a sweet surprise and it made my day. The next day, Thursday, when I woke up, I came down the stairs from my room in the house I was sharing with two roommates, and found another dozen of the same roses in a vase on the table. That was also a surprise! Two days in a row...something was going on. Low and behold, Friday morning I received another dozen, this time hand-delivered from the boyfriend himself. A note was attached that read, "Join me tonight for dinner and dancing. 7:00. Wear something nice." Ooh la la! Indeed all these flowers and now a date was leading up to something special. So I finished classes and work for the day and went to my house that day to get ready for my date. He picked me up that night and we drove away. I was suspicious once we turned into the addition, street, and then driveway of the Lemans' home. He punched in the garage code (he had called them and asked for permission to "use" their house that night--they were more than happy when they learned why) and we went inside. He had set the table, lit candles, and had more flowers were on the table. The best part was that he had gotten Thai food from our favorite place and it was in the oven keeping warm. So we had our dinner. Then onto the dancing. He had put together a CD of a bunch of songs that we ended up dancing to. In the middle of one of the songs (For some reason, I think I remember it being Sarah McLachlan's "Your Love is Better Than Chocolate.") he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! I can't say I was shocked just because of all the events leading up to it, but it was indeed a good question to be asked and I, of course, said yes. I have a wonderful husband and it's been a great journey for the 2 years we've been married so far.

1 comments:

kimmeh said...

i remember that day! well, at least that night when you came home and told us all about it. :)

how the crap was that three years ago?!?

i miss you, roomie.